The old saying, you get what you pay for is especially true when it comes to web design. The cheaper alternative may not always be your best option. This is true for many reasons. There are a few major drawbacks when it comes to Bargain websites.
Know what you are paying for:
One of the most common complaints I have gotten from clients is that they don’t really know what all they paid for. I have had people come to me saying they thought they were buying a website and were given a template. Most people who are just given a template this no use to them, if that is what they were looking for to begin with they could have found that themselves.
Make sure your web designer has been professionally building websites for at least 2 years. Very often, people selling websites have no idea what they are doing.
Another common complaint with web designers is – I like my website but nobody is visiting it!
This is a major problem for web site owners who are looking to get new leads and potential customers online. Here is a list below of common mistakes made by rookie web designers take note of these common mistakes to make sure your next web designer has full knowledge of these areas:
- No Keywords or Keywords don’t match text
- No Title Bar or Title Bar doesn’t describe page
- Page wrong width, not centered, or too short or long
- Insufficient content – majority of pages should have 250 to 450 words
- Not enough appropriate pictures – should show what you do
- Pictures distorted or take too long to load – resolution wrong
- Poor placement of navigation
- Broken links
- No service area, copyright, licenses or affiliations
- Inappropriate use of Flash
Remember you have one chance to make a first impression. Your website is your online resume and first impressions do count.